Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Family

As you may know, my little sister recently had a baby, Miss Faye Elizabeth Thomas, born September 12.  Here is a picture of her.  She is simply PRECIOUS!!!


And here is a picture of two of Faye's biggest fans who also happen to be the best labor and delivery assistants ever.  EVER.

 
 
Truly we were remarkable, which is no small thing given that Terri was in labor for 26 hours and we all have very different personalities.  As I can recall, there were really only two times Terri gave us the death look....  Once when Christi tried to strike up a conversation about Jazzercise with one of the nurses who came in to help Terri push, and another time when I made up some funny labor-related lyrics to the hymn "Morning Has Broken".  In our defense both of these mishaps occurred around hour 25 and everyone was exhausted by then.
 
As I pray for Terri and Faye and the next phase in their lives, I think a lot about family, how these days the world makes and takes all kinds.  A friend of mine remarked a few weeks ago that my own immediate family was pretty conventional growing up.  My dad worked, my mom stayed home with us.  In December my parents will celebrate 39 years of marriage to each other.  But when I think about all the different family dynamics rolling around out there I'm not sure there is a "conventional" anymore.  Whether or not that's the way God intended it, it's like it says in Romans, all things work together for good.  Through God's grace the concept of family exists regardless of race, religion, gender or distance. 
 
My own family has been making a mass exodus from Houston for the last several years, not to mention several good friends along the way.  Each time someone moves I get a little more discontented with God.  I'm sure He's got lots ahead for our family in the next season of life, but I was quite comfortable in the old season, thank you very much.  What will I do if we end up with no family in the area?  Bother my neighbors I guess, though that's not such a bad thing.  Through the love and provision of Christ we create family with or without biology. 
 
To those friends and loved ones close by, you are a blessing.  You are a constant reminder of God's love for me, the greatest sort of gift.  To those far away, what God has put in our hearts is not simply undone, so that's where you stay, day in and day out, no matter the distance.  And if any time God should choose to move any of y'all back to the Houston area we will joyfully bother you, too!!  But bring your game face.  We play to win. 
 
   
 
 XOXO...Kelly

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with the changing of life's seasons as well. God has a special purpose in these changes; it's just hard to see at the time. Come visit anytime! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete