Monday, June 20, 2016

They pee on you because they love you....

Our sweet Parker (almost 4) often comes down to our room in the middle of the night when something has woken him up.  I assume this is just a phase that he'll eventually grow out of and most nights I barely wake up when he climbs in between Kevin and I.  Last night he came down in his usual way and, snuggled and safe right where he wanted to be, he quickly fell back asleep.  He slept so deeply in fact that I woke up a short time later wet with urine.  And not my own.

I'd like to say this is the first time I've been peed on by a small child, but it's not.  Might not be the last.  There's also been vomit, poop, snot, ear wax and blood.  Not very glamorous, but I like to remind myself that to be so close to someone's grossness means you must also be in place of great importance to that person.  Because you don't just pee on anyone, you know.  You save that kind of stuff for the people you truly love and trust, the people you know will still love you in the morning.  (And also maybe ER personnel.)

Mark Klein spoke at our church this weekend about his near-death experiences surrounding his heart transplant a few years ago.  During his time in the hospital Mark says the Lord revealed glimpses of heaven to him on several occasions.  The most compelling, to me, was a glimpse of God himself from whom flowed "total and absolute acceptance".  Can you imagine that?  To be in the presence of someone who totally accepts you, loves you, takes pleasure in you just as you are?  It'd be enough to make me lose my bladder control all together.

Do you feel as confident in God's acceptance as that?  Because you should and so should the people around you.  If we're not witnessing in the kind of way that leads someone to anything but God's total and absolute acceptance and sovereignty then we are doing it wrong.  And if that's the message you're struggling to hear yourself, join me in prayer.  That God would continue to reveal His love for you, make His power known to you and His grace real for you.  And that you, being confident in all these things, would be changed forever. 

Love you, Parker.  Just the way you are.
   


XOXO....Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment