Monday, December 3, 2012

Morris the Christmas Tinsel Moose

A couple of years ago, much to my husband's chagrin, I purchased a large animated moose for our front yard.  He's made of grapevine and comes out of the box in about 10 different pieces you have to carefully assemble.  As you might imagine, several years of this set up and take down has somewhat compromised the structural integrity of the moose.  This year my beloved friend is not only shaky, but half of his lights don't work, his whimsical berries are falling off and his motor is burnt out.  To spruce him up a little I did what any Christmas-loving individual would do.  I wrapped him in tinsel.  Now he glistens in the sunlight AND twinkles in the glow of his still-working lights.  He may not be as spiffy as the leaping reindeer buck a few doors down, but he's hanging in there, every bit as full of the holiday spirit as he has ever been.  Sometimes I am the tinsel moose.  I think of Paul's words in 1 Thessalonians, "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances" (5:16-18).  Sometimes the best I can do is to throw a little tinsel on top of my tired, worn and ragged self and hope it shines, but I am going to celebrate what the Lord has given me anyhow.  Everyday, good or bad, we are called to remember the joy of our salvation in Christ, the relationship He wants to have with us, His presence in all situations.  Praise God for the gift of His son, that it comes to me regardless of my own condition.  Oh Morris, you trusty hooved beacon of the holiday season, you are all right by me, my friend.  All right by me.  XOXO...Kelly    

No comments:

Post a Comment