Monday, December 24, 2012

Flamingo, flamingo, flamingo.

I’ve mentioned our Christmas yard decor a couple of times now, so as long as I’ve got my toes in the water might as well go all in and explain the flamingos. If you’ve driven past my house you’ve probably noticed them, fifteen or so pink plastic flamingos wearing shiny tinsel scarves. They line the walkway, peek out of bushes, look over the manger scene and keep Morris company. I put them out this year for two reasons. (1) It delights my children who correlate Christmas spirit with the number of figures you have in your yard, and (2) they irritate my husband. I’m hoping that reason #1 will balance out my karma for reason #2. At any rate, the editors of Southern Living Magazine should be here any day to take a photo, which I am sure they will feature in some "best of the holidays" edition to come. The flamingos are right up there with a set of kitchen towels I bought one year that are covered in kitty pawprints and say, "Meowy Christmas" because when you see towels like that how can you NOT purchase them? Needless to say, things are starting to go a little downhill here in the Long house in terms of tasteful decor. For someone that pours over decorating magazines and Pinterest as much as I do you think this would derail me a bit more. And yet all I can feel is joy, joy, joy, unspeakable joy! It is Christmas, friends! Emmanuel has come, God with us! I want to cover the world in pink, plastic flamingos for the happiness that fills my heart. We come to the manger just as we are, pretty or ugly, beaten or victorious, and we simply accept God’s love. It is there for each one of us, manifest in His Son, and we are fools to think we may not need it. No, knowing Christ’s love this year will be the most important gift we will receive and the most important one we pass on. More precious than silver, more costly than gold. So joy to the world and peace on earth and goodwill to mankind and MERRY CHRISTMAS, loved ones! The Lord is come. XOXO...Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment