Monday, February 18, 2013

Got milk?

I often leave the supermarket without milk and this is why. There is no room in my head for milk. I have to keep track of whose turn it is to sit in what seat in the van, which Skylander characters we have and which ones we need (shout out to my good friend T. Hook on this one...she knows what I mean), who used the shark cup and/or Hotwheel plate last, how many days ago Blake wore his favorite shirt to school before he can repeat it, whose turn it is to pick the movie, and where the Lego guy with the orange helmet went but not the orange helmet with the stripe on it because that's not the one we are looking for. See...no room for milk. Along the same lines, I can walk from the kitchen to the living room and not remember why. So much of it is a symptom of having four kids, but a lot of it is just the inability to focus. Well, let me rephrase that...an inability to focus on the appropriate thing. I've been amazingly focused on revamping our kitchen island for several weeks now, but that's not getting the laundry done. Or milk in the fridge. And so it goes with our spiritual lives. We allow so many things to pull our eyes away from God and then we look up one day and wonder how we  came to be standing in the metaphorical living room of despair. We can't even remember how we got there. "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that sinful nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace" Romans 8:5-6. Life and peace. I love it. It means never coming home empty handed, being assured that whatever brought you to the living room is full of God's will. It can be so hard to focus sometimes, but our actions tend to follow our thoughts. And just like if all you're thinking about is Skylanders then you are bound to forget the milk, if your thoughts are set on sin then your life is bound to miss out on spiritual peace. Lord, let the Proverb be my prayer today. Let my eyes look straight ahead, fix my gaze directly before me. Help me to focus on the goodness of Your word and experience the peace of Your will. Amen. XOXO...Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment