Monday, May 6, 2013

A shout out to all the Pogue women out there on this one. :)

I have the tendency to be bossy and controlling.  It is a wonder my sisters still talk to me.  They probably think that if they don't answer my calls I'll just show up at their homes.  This is true.  I would totally do that.  I come by this trait honestly.  I once watched my mother, grandmother and two aunts all stir the same pan of vegetables to see if I was cooking it correctly.  Our family gatherings usually include a lot of unsolicited advice followed by exasperation the whole drive home that no one would take our unsolicited advice.  "They'll see!!  They'll see and they'll be sorry!"  (It's not so much that we don't want success for other people.  It's just that we would prefer other people succeed because we were right.  I know, I know.  There should be an island for people like us.)  Under the right circumstances--natural disasters, church potluck dinners, 5-year old t-ball games--this sort of personality trait can come in very handy.  If only I was better at knowing when to turn it off.  At any rate, it should come as no surprise that I produced children who also have the same tendencies.  There is nothing that gets under the skin of my 5 and 6 year old sons more than when another brother is not doing what they want him to do.  They are so blinded by their drive to be right that often common sense eludes them.  Only one of my children so far has wised up enough to know that if you want another brother to do what you say you have to add "Mom said" to your command.  (I'll add that it is child #3 that figured this out.  He's the smallest of my boys but by position probably the toughest.  If you're looking for a good piece of unsolicited advice today, do NOT get on the wrong side of a fight with this boy.  Seriously, he'll get you.)  It only took a handful of disagreements before it occurred to Zachary that he was not going to get far on his own authority.  And like my ornery little friend, this is true for most of us as well.  We have the privilege to walk in Christ's authority every day.  At Matthew 28 Jesus commissions the disciples, "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations".  Any power, any goodness, any mercy or grace that we possess starts here, with the authority given to us in Christ Jesus.  And when we walk in God's authority things get done! His power far exceeds anything we can come up.  "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me" (2 Cor 12:9).  When I rely on God's power to work through me for the good of His will I am walking in Christ's authority.  When I rely on my own ridiculous self to get things done, well, I might as well be screaming at a 5 year old to give me a turn with his monster truck.  Walk in God's authority today, friends, and rest in the peace that it can not fail.  XOXO....Kelly   

No comments:

Post a Comment