Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Roots.

Since Mother's Day was Sunday, please enjoy this heartwarming tale on motherhood.  When Michael was one day old--we were still in the hospital--several people came to visit all at once.  It was late in the day.  He was tired, I was tired and he wouldn't stop crying.  A well-meaning nurse shooed everyone from the room.  I swaddled him in a blanket, put him in the bassinet and pushed him into the corner away from the light.  Instantly he stopped crying.  All he needed was to be left alone and sleep.  I remember at the time being shocked that I managed to fix the problem so quickly, and it was in that moment I knew I was where I was meant to be, as a mother.  When I start to doubt my maternal abilities I remind myself of this experience.  I do, in fact, have what it takes.  I know this because God has put it inside of me and what is rooted in God's will can not fail.  If I can manage to succeed with a newborn baby one day after a major C-section and following my first sleepless night surely I can succeed on a day when the sun is shining and my hair looks good.  Do you trust that God has you rooted today?  Whether it's your job, your role as a parent, a spouse, a student, a sibling "I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know that this love surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:17-19)  A few short months after our experience in the hospital, I was giving that same sweet angel baby a bath at home.  As I smiled and sang to him and cooed I missed that he had pooped in the water.  I somehow managed to scoop the poop up in the wash cloth and then smear it all over his body as if it was soap.  It's a good thing Michael's got his roots in the right place, too.  Life is full of poo.  :)  XOXO...Kelly 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment