Tuesday, December 3, 2013

HOPE

Happy Christmas everyone!!  I don't know about you, but this year I am needing Christmas in my heart more than ever.  Sunday brought about the season of Advent and the lighting of the hope candle and suddenly I felt my heart lifting a little bit, my thoughts pointing toward the promise of the manger.

This year we created another inspiring yard display in order to capture the wonder of the season.  It's sure to delight all of our neighbors, especially the guy next door who still has papers taped to his front door declaring his constitutional right to deny the installation of a smart meter.  I think we might have a little tradition going here.  The first weekend after Thanksgiving I drag the Christmas lights out of the garage.  Kevin, knowing I will undoubtedly mess up all the cords, comes out to help me.  About two hours in, after he's cursed at the fourth string of lights that have gone out on him, he turns to notice what I'm doing in the yard.

 
 
 

It's no coincidence we put out the lights on "Hope" Sunday.  As in, Kevin hopes he remembers to lose the flamingos before next Christmas.  Have I mentioned this December 27 marks our 10 year wedding anniversary?  Nothing but bliss folks!  Nothing but bliss...  :)

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned....For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this."  Isaiah 9:2, 6-7

With what long and lingering hope the people of God must have waited to see what the prophets foretold.  How blessed are we to no longer wait for the truth, but to be able to walk in it everyday!  To be sure of God's promises and live in His hope.  With hope we are moved from not just celebrating a season of Christmas, but experiencing its miracle everyday. 

Dear Lord, I thank you for the hope the gift of your Son brings me.  I thank you for the truth of Christmas and the opportunities you give me to share that truth, especially at this time of year.  Help me to keep my eyes focused on you this season, Lord, and to help keep hope alive in others by the power of your Spirit.  Amen.

XOXO....Kelly

    



1 comment: