Monday, November 25, 2013

Stupid cookie.

Rough days.  Sister moving, teacher leaving.  Stomach bug, dead fish, rainy weather.  Holiday parties, holiday travel, birthday plans for Zachary.  Busy, rough days.  As a treat to myself, the boys and I stopped at our favorite local Chinese food restaurant for dinner tonight.  No cooking, no cleaning.  Just one tired, difficult baby to round out the day.  You win some, you lose some, right?  I pay the check and crack open my fortune cookie and see that the message inside says, "Patience is the hardest virtue to master."  I now hate fortune cookies.  Maybe all cookies.  I am in a bad mood.

The boys and Kevin are in the next room watching Duck Tales together as I write this.  It was one of Kevin's favorite cartoons growing up.  He was so excited to order it on Netflix and share it with them.  They have a deal....no one watches any episodes without the others.  They take it VERY seriously.  I think about them all huddled on the couch together unknowingly bonding over Scrooge McDuck.  My bad mood is melting a little.

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

One thing about being thankful...it takes a lot of work some days.  Not because there aren't plenty of things to be grateful for, but because there's so much to distract us from them.  Paul's advice to the Thessalonians was a lot easier before, for example, Walmart.  But the key is not in Paul's command itself, but the necessity behind it.  For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 

For this is God's gift for you in Christ's sacrifice. 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  John 10:10 

A call to daily gratitude isn't just a suggestion for living happier.  It is a must for accepting Christ's death on the cross and the gift of God's son.  It's what keeps our lives full no matter what is going on around us.  Seeing things for the good of God's will reminds us what Jesus' love for us is all about.   

I'll probably be over my hatred of cookies by tomorrow, but even if I'm not, Happy Thanksgiving all the same.

XOXO...Kelly



       


No comments:

Post a Comment