Friday, January 3, 2014

First run.

My Christmas gift to Kevin this year was an agreement to run a half marathon with him.  I even bought us matching running outfits.  Kevin says men don't wear outfits.  I say when your wife agrees to run by your side for 13 miles you wear an outfit.  We are registered for the Armadillo Dash, which is held in College Station on March 2.  Between that and announcing it via blog, I guess it's official.  I'm running.

Now, I am not a runner.  I once started to get into jogging, but several weeks in discovered I was pregnant.  End of jogging.  I'm not a goal setter either.  True to my middle child status I like immediate results and am largely motivated by my mood.  So you're probably wondering what in the world would possess me to agree to run a half marathon.  Yeah, I don't know either.  I just feel like I can do it.  I walk the boys to and from school everyday and rarely sit down in between times.  I don't drink or smoke and manage a fruit and vegetable most days.  Surely that's a good enough start.  But mostly I think it's because Parker is a year and a half now, and while he's still so small, he's not a tiny baby anymore either.  I'm starting to remember what it was like to jog alongside Kevin all those years ago unencumbered by nap schedules and breast feeding and potty training and just do something together.  Of course we're not totally unencumbered and even today, my first run of my training schedule, I ran with Parker in the jogging stroller.  But how sweet it will be to have that little face greet me at the finish line!

So today I am one run in with many more to go.  I am sure the "what was I thinking?!!" blog is coming soon, but today I am excited.  It's a new year after all.  "Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  Hebrews 12:1-3 

I mean, we've got matching outfits.  How can we go wrong?

XOXO...Kelly   

No comments:

Post a Comment