Thursday, January 30, 2014

Matching PJ's

I'll never forget the day I gave up on matching PJ's.  We had dozens of pairs of them for the boys.  Cute dinosaurs and monster trucks and animals and sports stuff.  I took extra care every laundry cycle to fold and match them all and then put them neatly away in the boys' drawers.  When you have little boys you know the time will be brief that they let you do things like put them in cute matching clothes (outfits, if you will, Kevin Long), so you try to take advantage.  But then it would be Kevin's turn to get them ready for bed some night and not only would he mess up all the neat stacks in the drawers, he would mix up the jammy pieces.  The boys would come bouncing in after a bath wearing monster truck pants with a dinosaur shirt.  Can you even imagine?!  I was sure he was doing it to mess with me, which is dangerous business between the hours of 5pm and 7pm in our house. 

It's not that I'm opposed to mis-matched clothes.  We fight a lot of battles in life.  Generally wardrobe is not one I choose to engage in.  I mean, I do own cat pants.  See also exhibits A-E below.
 




 
There was just something about keeping the PJ's in order.  Until one day I could take it no longer and I gave up.  I just gave up on matching PJ's.  At first I was a little sad, like I had been defeated.  Did I really have so little control in my own household?  (Yes, really little to none.)  But as that feeling faded a very freed feeling took its place.  The PJ's didn't have to match, not at all!  They didn't even have to be folded!  Oh, what amazing reckless abandon!  Now we were living!

Paul talks about freedom in Galatians.

What I am saying is that as long as an heir is underage, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. The heir is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. So also, when we were underage, we were in slavery under the elemental spiritual forces[a] of the world. But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.[b] Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba,[c] Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.

You are God's child!!  No one owns you.  No thing can stand against you.  What awesome, awesome, awesome freedom there is in Christ.  What a thing to celebrate!  Friends, like a six year old in a pajama drawer, let it go and let God!  Whatever it is (or who it is) that holds you back remember that Christ has already redeemed you.  He did it because there are good things ahead for those that know His love and want to live in it and He wants those good things for you.  I think that's a pretty good stinkin' deal.  Don't you?

XOXO....Kelly

        

     

No comments:

Post a Comment