Thursday, June 12, 2014

Speak Life.

Like most kids, mine like to put their toes on the line every once in a while.  You know, see what they can get away with before Kevin and I shut it down.  For a good month it was burping and farting at the table.  We started making them pay a fine every time they did it.  Then it was trying to order Coke when we went out to eat.  They didn't get very far with that one.  And now it's the word "butt".  I know, you should pick your battles with kids, but I can't stand hearing little kids say the word "butt".  It sounds so crude.  And, no, I don't care that there are worse words they could be saying.  We don't let them get away with smacking each other on the face just because it's better than stabbing each other.  So, anyway, no butts. 

You should see their faces when one of them lets it slip out.  They give me this sort of side look with raised eyebrows like they're daring me to get on to them.  Which I do, of course.  With soap.

But it can be hard to explain language choices to kids.  Is the word offensive or is it just annoying?  How come some jokes are okay sometimes but not others?  How can it be that bad if everyone else is saying it?  Oh, the devil is indeed in the details. 

There's a Toby Mac song called "Speak Life", and when "because I said so" or "would you say that in front of Jesus?" doesn't work that's really the best way to sum it up.

Our words can be so powerful.  Imagine if we used that power for good, to bring light and life to others.  It's not really about whether something qualifies as a curse word or not.  And, holy cow, it is NOT about freedom of speech.  We always have a choice.  Why make a bad one just because you can?  No, it's about whether we are honoring God with what comes out of our mouths. 

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.  Show me the words that bring healing, that bring comfort, that bring life to your people.  And when I am tempted to head another way, kindly put some soap in my mouth......  Amen.

XOXO....Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment