Monday, November 24, 2014

The Thanksgiving Tree

I did something totally unprecedented this week.  I put up my Christmas tree before Thanksgiving.  I have long been an advocate of waiting until after Thanksgiving to put up Christmas decorations.  We need Thanksgiving...the world is entirely too lacking in gratefulness.  But we bought a new tree this year and the box was just sitting there so I put it up.  I am grateful for it.  Does that count?

I actually think there's something very poetic about Thanksgiving wrapping up just as the Christmas season begins.  What better way to prepare for coming of Christ than with a heart full of thanks? 

My soul magnifies the Lord
And my spirit rejoices in God my savior
For he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed
For the Mighty One has done great things for me--
Holy is his name.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  If Mary can praise God as an unwed pregnant teenager surely I can muster up a couple of words myself.  The Mighty One has done great things indeed and in the name of Love sent His Son for my salvation.  This is a time for Thanksgiving for sure.

I shall enjoy my turkey and cranberry sauce this year in the glow of twinkling Christmas lights this year, remembering the reason for the season, and maybe I'll hang up some garland, too.  It was on sale at Michael's.  And I had a coupon!!  Thanks be to God!  Amen. 

XOXO....Kelly

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment