Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Summoning the Good

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him" Romans 8:28.  I'm a terrible resolution maker (how many people have said that today?).  There's my standing goal to walk taller, which is not figurative at all.  I have terrible posture and I really do want to try to stand up straighter.  Then there's also the standard save more, spend less, eat right, etc., etc., etc.  All of the usual ingredients for a better, healthier being.  And so this New Year has started like many before it.  We gathered 'round to bless and eat the traditional New Year's black-eyed peas, collared greens and cabbage.  And believe me, I'm all for whatever luck and fortune they want to bring me.  But this year more than ever, as my husband prayed for the new year ahead, I longed for God's fortune, God's goodness.  Kevin prayed for the good and happy things to come and for the challenges, the disappointments that are inevitable.  He prayed that God would be with us, that He would guide us through all of it.  If I may be completely honest, I am a mess on any given day.  I never know if I'll get to sleep all night or be woken by any combination of my children.  My housework completely overwhelms me, always something to do.  The boys are gloriously, wonderfully but very loudly all over the place.  Our budget gives me a headache.  And every time I turn on the television or get online the government, the media or society in general is giving me something else to get down on my knees for.  But I have to believe God's word.  I have to seek God's divinity, God's sovereignty, His mercy and His law.  And so this year, in addition to all of my usual favorite resolutions, I will be summoning the Good.  I will be looking to God for guidance more than ever before, to His will for the good that we all so desperately need.  God, I do love you.  I love that our calendar puts Christmas right before New Years, so that we might celebrate your love for us through your Son and are then immediately reminded to lean on that love to get us through another year.  I love that you gave me 2012, the blessing of another healthy, beautiful baby boy, plenty of reasons to celebrate, plenty of opportunities to grow.  Help me to summon the Good this year, Lord.  Help me to seek You in everything I do.  And also, seriously, to stand up straight.  You know, if you've got a couple of extra minutes....  HAPPY NEW YEAR!  XOXO...Kelly
              

No comments:

Post a Comment