Monday, June 17, 2013

Dad

Father's Day always reminds me of the verse from Genesis, "so God created man in his own image, in the image of God He created him."  Because that's pretty much where it starts for us as Christians....to be the image of Christ in this big, troublesome world.  I have a father very much in the image of God.  He might have driven the wrong way in the carpool drop-off lane (on purpose and EVERY DAY), run over our Barbie set-up's with his remote controlled army tank and made us watch movies like Lonesome Dove and Jeremiah Johnson, but there was never a question in my mind as to who my savior was and where my heart belonged.  My dad lives firmly convicted of right and wrong, good and evil, but full of mercy and compassion.  He is just, he is loving, he is funny, he is hard working.  I married a man just like him.  My heart is grateful daily that my sons will see the image of God before them just as I did growing up, just as Kevin did with his dad.  It's a hefty task to show Christ to the world, but oh so important!!  A few years ago I was leading a Bible study on God as our Abba Father and was shocked at how many youth in the room did not see God as a loving guardian.  What was missing from their image of God directly related to what was missing in their relationship with their own fathers.  Those with close, supportive parent relationships had no trouble seeing God as loving and caring while those with strained relationships had a harder time believing this about His character.  Is it any wonder we struggle so much as a human race?  God's image starts at home and has never been more important to the people around us than it is right now.  Whether you are a father or grandfather, mother or grandmother, uncle, aunt, sister, brother, friend, coworker, neighbor or the person listening to my exterminator talk about squirrel dumplings for dinner (that happen to anyone else this week?...no?...no one?...really??) make sure the people around you know who God is!!  Especially the little ones....do not hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.  I am grateful to be surrounded by so many strong and wonderful men of God and full of praise that He has entrusted Kevin and I with the blessing of raising up four more.  God has indeed created us in His image, friends, and all that is loving and just, merciful and forgiving, trustworthy and unfailing about it.  Happy Father's Day.  XOXO...Kelly

 

1 comment:

  1. there is so much truth in this: "God's image starts at home"! we were both greatly blessed with the parents we got. love you, kelly! and i'm loving your devotionals. :)

    -meredith

    ReplyDelete