Saturday, September 14, 2013

For Carole...the Meat Story

My good and wonderful friend, Nick, lost his mom last week to cancer.  Carole Olivero, pictured above with my friend Nick and Michael (at age 4 months), had more compassion, intensity, expectation and character packed into her five foot body than of anyone I have ever known.  She was an amazing woman who made lifelong friendships and knew no strangers. 
 
Carole loved to feed people and when you visited her house you sat down to eat.  At the table and all at once.  None of this buffet business where you grab a piece of pizza and sit on the couch and you did not wear a hat.  I attended a family dinner at the Olivero house one night.  It was the first time I'd been at a family dinner with all four kids there and their boyfriends and girlfriends, so there were a lot of people around the table.  Being with the Olivero's is an experience in and of itself.  There is no small talk.  There are opinions, jokes and someone usually always quotes Seinfeld.  It's mostly wonderful, but a little intimidating.  And to top it off Carole set down the largest tray of flank steak I have ever seen in my life followed by the largest bowl of mashed potatoes I had ever seen in my life.  And that's saying a lot because my sisters and I used to make my parents take us to the Chuck-o-Rama Family Buffet in Utah when we were younger.  As I put a piece of steak on my plate, Carole looked down at me and said, "Is that all you're going to eat?  You're so small!"  See what I mean?  Expectation.  I panicked a little.  I remember sitting at the table thinking, I don't think I can eat more than one piece of meat!!  What am I going to do??  Carol was not just interested in feeding people.  She was interested in filling them up, and she did it in more ways than one.
 
I think of the things in my life that feed me and I am grateful for them.  Singing in the choir at church, a fun craft project, volunteering with the boys' schools, writing this blog even.  These things bring me lots of enjoyment and they are important parts of my life.  But, oh, they are nothing compared to the things that fill me up.  My husband, my children, my faith.  All of the 40% Hobby Lobby coupons in the world couldn't do for me what one evening of rocking Parker to sleep does. 
 
What fills you up?  Carole knew, and she offered it to everyone who came into her home.  It resonated from her.  My little sister, Terri, welcomed her own sweet daughter into the world this week.  (This is totally a shameless plug for bragging on my beautiful little Faye Beth.)  I am betting the first time she looked at that tiny face she discovered a whole new way of being full. 
 
Christ puts things deep within us and all around us.  His spirit gives us the courage to draw on these things and fill up our lives with them.  We know what it is to feel blessed.  And when we manage, like Carole, to take the peace and joy that comes with these gifts and pass them on to others, we know what it is to be a blessing to others.  "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which we are called in one body, and be thankful." Colossians 3:15.  Be full, friends.  Be full.
 
XOXO...Kelly
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment