Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday

So I was gawked at today, and not in the good way people might gawk at you when you're wearing a new outfit and your hair is done and your tan is awesome.  I actually had food hanging out of my mouth.  We were eating lunch in the car between errands and I was enjoying the new Wendy's Asiago Chicken Flatbread Sandwich.  Nothing but the best for lunch via drive thru.  Anyway, I was shoveling said sandwich into my mouth when I noticed the person in the vehicle next to me staring at me.  I am sure they were appalled.  There was dressing on my face and a tomato hanging out of my mouth.  I know, I know.  What would the people at Glamour Shots say if they could see me now?  But it's Wednesday and it's 100 degrees outside, so I don't care.  I'd like to say it's with maturity that I have developed this carefree attitude.  Maybe that's part of it.  But I've been gawked at a lot in the last five or six years of my life and each time it happens all I can do is look the person, smile, and think to myself, "you don't know anything about me."  And it's true.  I don't mean it in a snarky way, but there are a lot of people in the city of Houston.  I am not going to see all of them on a good day.  Generally speaking, what many people see of me is only a teeny blip of my life as they know it.  Is it fair for anyone to judge me based on one tiny blip?  Absolutely not, and it would be wrong of me to do the same to anyone else.  "This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God " James 1:19-20.  Oh, it's so tempting to make a comment about the mother with out of control kids in Target until you are that mother.  In my own family we have good trips to the store and bad trips.  To the older lady I once overheard remarking that she would certainly do better in my shoes I say, go ahead!  I'll be at the Starbucks near the entrance enjoying a white chocolate mocha when you're done. 

If there's anything I deserve an award for it would be my ability to control my road rage in a city the size of Houston.  But I am actually remarkably good at it.  When someone cuts me off I just imagine they are heading to an emergency.  When someone slows down way too much to turn into a parking lot I just imagine they have a cake in their car, or a basket of puppies they don't want to knock over.  I have no idea if any of this is true (it probably isn't), but I don't care.  Slow to judgment, slow to anger.  I've also got a killer Lionel Richie CD that can't help but put you in a good mood.  'Cause I'm once, twice, three times a lady..... 

I'd like it if everyone thought the best of me or, better yet, if the best of me was always what I have to offer.  But it's Wednesday and it's 100 degrees outside.  So when you see me at the red light with food hanging out of my mouth just assume I'm doing the best I can that day and move on.  I promise to do the same for you.

XOXO...Kelly               

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kelly...I love you so. I feel your pain in every word you uttered in this blog. I, too, try to imagine people's situations when I drive in this crazy town. And I, too, wear my lunch on my face and shirt daily.

    ReplyDelete