Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fish are people, too.

Allow me to introduce the newest member of our household, a small black fish appropriately named Soldier II, as we bought him on Veterans Day. 


Soldier I, Michael's pet, passed away in the spring.  I decided we were ready to open our hearts and home to another fish this morning after Small Fred, a tiny lizard Zachary caught in the backyard, turned up dead.  The real tragedy is that when Zachary was removing his little dried body from the terrarium Oscar (our dachshund) ate it.  I quickly recovered with, "Hey, let's go bowling and then get a new fish!" 

I explained to the associate at Petsmart that we already had a small beta tank with a filter.  Would the little black molly that Zachary picked out fit in that?  She then explained that as long as we kept up with the water quality the molly, though restricted in his growth potential and probably life span, would still have a good life in the tank.  At best, we're probably looking at a respectable year or year and a half.  "So it will fit in the tank, right?" I replied.  I don't think the Petsmart associate and I were on the same page. 

Every time we get a pet I can't help but wonder if this is what God meant when he gave man dominion over nature.  Like dog sweaters, for example.  Do you think His command intended dog sweaters?  I have several, by the way.  I truly think pets serve a useful purpose.  They provide companionship, teach kids about responsibility, provide protection.  They remind us to be humane.  My grandfather always used to say that in his next life he'd like to come back as a dog in my parents' house.  It would be a pretty good gig.

At the end of the day I hope that's true.  I hope I please God in the way I treat His creation, all of it.  It's easy to remember the pricelessness of my children, friends and family. 

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?  Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6 

But God forgets none of His creation.  His sovereignty lives in every creature, every flower, every tree.  How grateful I am that His spirit dwells in everything around me.  Even the fish that may or may not be with us this time next year.  I'll keep you posted.   

And speaking of God's blessed creatures, did you know there is such a thing as a micro pig?  It's true!  A pig that tops out at ten pounds.  They're tiny!  You could take it to the store with you!!  It could wear a sweater.  Kevin, I want one.



XOXO....Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment