Thursday, February 6, 2014

Just in time for Valentine's Day...a blog about toilets

There's a hole in our ceiling this evening.  It's not a portal to another magical dimension like you might want to believe.  It's just what happened when Kevin put his finger up there to investigate a dark spot.  Apparently there's something wrong with one of the upstairs toilets.  So tomorrow we will call a plumber.  This will be the first on what I'm calling "The UnFun List of Must Do's...Blah, Blah, Blah".  Good name, huh?  Also on the list is get cell phone fixed (I'm sure this will require no less than two trips to the store and require some new more expensive plan); get a replacement van key, which will also likely cost some ridiculous amount of money because it's an electric key; and have the washing machine serviced. 

I'm trying to remember back to the first big repair we had to do in our first house. You know what?  I have no recollection.  Isn't it funny how that works?  I am sure it was a huge deal at the time.  I'm sure I had major anxiety over what it would cost to have it fixed.  But, here, today....no memory.  Just another bump in the road we dealt with and moved past. 

"Love never fails.  But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."  1 Corinthians 13:8

And where there are toilets there will be plumbing issues. 

This verse also reminds me of Pluto.  You know, like how it once used to be a planet and now it's not?  Or the world being flat.  There is little about this earth we can be certain about, but Love, indeed, never fails.  Not the chocolate-covered-teddy-bear-red-rose love we're about to be inundated with next week.  Christ's love. 

Even the most devout struggle with the things of this world that pull us down.  Homes that give us shelter and security are always needing something.  Is my house a blessing?  Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I can't place my assurance in something so willing to let me down, which isn't to say I don't appreciate my home and that it's not worth taking care of.  It's just that when I ground myself in Christ's love instead, the leaking toilets and broken washing machines and malfunctioning cell phones just become bumps in the road, as easily forgotten as they were to fail in the first place.  It's almost not even worth complaining about. 

Almost. 

I mean, I am going to have to deal with ATT to get the cell phone fixed.  That'll be good for at least once gripe session. 

And probably also a glass of wine. 

Check in with me next week.  I'll let you know how it's going.  :)

XOXO...Kelly


 

No comments:

Post a Comment