Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I hate technology.

I hate technology. 
 


I have broken some new technological ground for myself lately which includes joining Twitter and obtaining a smart phone.  Every time I do something new like this I think about the first time I had a cell phone and the first time we had a computer.  I was in high school.  We mostly played solitaire on it.  I'll spare you the "we didn't need all that stuff in my day" speech and just go ahead and say I don't think technology is inherently bad.  You can make a phone call almost anywhere you need to.  That's fantastic!  My washing machine has like a million settings.  But the amount of maintenance and repair that's been happening around here lately has me thinking.  When did all this stuff designed to serve our lives with efficiency became something we started to serve instead??

"What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."  James 4:1-3

The pressure to upgrade is everywhere.  Remember pagers?  A lot of my friends in high school had them.  Why??!!  None of them were doctors.  And have you seen how much a new car cost these days?  When Kevin and I bought our current minivan I wanted as basic a model as possible.  I wanted it paid off as quickly as possible and I didn't want to panic about what little boys were going to do to nice seats and all sorts of technology.  Kevin and I like to joke that we are going to drive the thing into the ground.  This van serves our needs.  Not our desires.   

People are smart and the world is full of lots of cool stuff.  But when it takes more effort and money to keep up a cell phone than it does to cook dinner I draw the line.  Maybe I'll look into one of those JitterBug phones they advertise on daytime television.  Or some homing pigeons.  Kevin loves birds... 

XOXO....Kelly

   



  



No comments:

Post a Comment