Monday, March 3, 2014

How to Run a Marathon (well...half of one)

Looking for something to do to keep active?  Running is a great way to stay in shape, set a fitness goal for yourself and determine which one of you is in better shape--you or your running partner.  Kevin and I ran the Armadillo Dash, a half marathon in College Station this weekend, which was my Christmas present to him.  If you're looking to sign up for something like this yourself, here are a few guidelines on what to expect during your race.

Mile 1--Don't be late.  We were late.  We had to speed walk from the truck to the starting line.  No time for stretching or pre-race meditation.  Now I am totally thrown off my game.  My muscles are tight, my head is all over the place. Why is everyone looking at me??!!  Is that a photographer?  This was a stupid Christmas present.  Next year he's totally getting some new pants.

Mile 2--Oh, good.  A port-a-potty.  That's better.

Mile 3--I've fallen into a comfortable pace.  All initial stiffness has worked its way out.  There's a slight drizzle falling from the sky.  It's not enough to really soak anything, but enough to keep me cool.  This is actually quite pleasant!

Mile 4--People are handing out Gatorade.  Yum!  Also, there's a group handing out beer and mimosas.  We did not partake, but these people have noticed the matching running outfits I bought for Kevin and I.  I knew they would be worth it!  We look awesome!

Mile 5--We are awesome!  Running is awesome!  This day is awesome!

Mile 6--Our family has appeared to cheer us on!  I could run forever fueled by nothing but my boys' sweet smiles!  And more Gatorade!  This cheering team is wearing fun and festive Hawaiian gear.  It's like being on vacation!  The awesomeness continues!

Mile 7--Oh crap.  A hill. 

Mile 8--The hill continues and they've placed another photographer at the top of it.  Who puts a photographer halfway through the run at the top of a hill??!!  This is stupid. 

Mile 9--Running back down the hill now.  This is much better.  My ankles are starting to get a little sore, but I am ignoring it.  Only 4 more miles to go.  Some lovely people are handing out more Gatorade and water.  God bless them.  God bless everyone!

Mile 10--A second appearance by family.  What a great pick up!  We're in the home stretch now!

Mile 11--Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!  Something in my knee and thigh has given way.  I am in pain!  Also, the course has turned to run parallel to the highway.  We are running up hill along the access road and there is a lot of traffic.  If I die here so many people will witness it.  Did someone just honk at me??

Mile 12--The pain continues.  Now I'm just mad.  Some people from a church are handing out gummy bears with their water and Gatorade and offering prayers of hope.  Forget the hope.  These had better be magic freaking gummy bears.

Mile 13--I'll be a monkey's uncle if I am going to cross the finish line walking.  The power of the magic gummy bears begins to take over and I am running again.  My foot hurts and I think it might fall off, but I am running!!  There's my family and there's the finish line.  We are done!!  They are handing out medals and water and more Gatorade and my children think we won something.  At this point it has started to rain.  I don't even care.  We are done!!



Ah, running.  I do think I like it now.  Maybe not enough to do another half marathon, but maybe so.  It's good to have a challenge, but then again most of us run a marathon everyday (well, not literally).  Some miles are good ones.  Some are uphill the entire way. 

Christ before me, the world behind me.  Head toward the cross, friends, because no matter what the miles are like in between, it is so sweet to finish.  It doesn't matter what tries to get in the way.  PUSH THROUGH. 

Is it money?  Is it appearance?  A relationship?  Your health?  Your job?  Your faith?

You are loved, friends.  PUSH THROUGH.

You are worthy.  PUSH THROUGH.

You are saved.  PUSH THROUGH.

Halfway between mile 8 and mile 9 I said the same prayer I've said a load of other times in my life.  "God, I know the only way is through this.  Get me through this!"  The screaming toddler fit, the pain of an injury, unpleasant confrontation, grief, madness, sadness.  You name it.  He pushes you through. 

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed" 2 Cor 4:8,9.  For "though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me." Psalm 138:7

You are loved, you are worthy, you are saved, friends.  Push through.

XOXO...Kelly



 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Kelly, thank you for the encouragement! Congratulations on the half marathon, that is amazing!! I suppose there are always going to be times in our lives that we are running some form of marathon or another, thank you for the verses and the reminder to push through...very timely!!
    Blessings, Sara

    ReplyDelete