Sunday, August 24, 2014

When there's room for improvement....

In a recent discussion about health and physical fitness, Kevin and I both agreed we have room for improvement.  He wants to eat less carbs and get back into running.  I've resolved to stop eating an entire bag of Buccee's Beaver Nuggets in one sitting.  I know, I know.  We should probably market our new plan.  We'd make millions, but then I'm afraid of what all that money would do to the character of our family.  So in the meantime we'll just consider this a public service and offer this advice to everyone for free. 

You're welcome.

Is there really anything I can point to in my life right now that doesn't have a little room for improvement?  Let's see....

Parenting. 

Nope, looks good there.
 
 
Housework.
 
This is going to look really good when I get finished, so we'll go ahead and put a checkmark by that one as well.
 
Personal appearance.  I have managed a shower almost every day this week.  Not once have I forgotten to brush my teeth.  And then there's my fashion sense.
 
Check. 
 
The kids recently asked me if we could add a spoiler and some racing stripes to the minivan, you know, to make it look cooler.  As if there was any way a white Dodge Grand Caravan could possibly be cooler.  So I'll give myself a check minus there.  But beyond that I think we're covered. 
 
Oh, except for the days when I'm not covered and need this reminder.
 
"Praise the Lord...His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love."  Psalm 147
 
Lord be with me on the days that I need to remember that my horses (or horsepower!!) and legs are what they are.  Is there always room for improvement?  Absolutely.  Is there anything wrong with working to make things better?  Not at all.  But God's delight does not rest  here.  His delight comes from the condition of our hearts no matter what the outside of us looks like.
 
I know some people doing amazing things, life-transforming things.  Friends and family members that have lost staggering amounts of weight, fought their way back from depression and anxiety, stepped into the role of a single parent, taken on a new career, overcome bad habits.  Praise God for his work in you!  You are worth the hard work it takes to get there, every bit of it.  Keep up the good work, even after the days that you fall completely off the wagon.  Rest in the assurance that He who began a good work in you will see it through to completion. Phil 1:6  God's love for you is unfailing, and nothing delights him more than those who would receive it today.
 
Receive it, friends.  Receive it. 
 
(I mean, can you believe you're reading this for free?  Again, you're welcome.) 
 
XOXO....Kelly
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment