Friday, October 10, 2014

Do they see you coming?

My dad is a GOOD dad.  I mean, a really good dad.  He has always been a good dad, doing the things a good dad should do.  Like showing up to a late night play rehearsal when I was in high school and yelling at the director that we had no business being up at school at 9pm.*  Dude, he was pissed.  But he was right and none of the other parents were willing to do it.  We never had a rehearsal that late ever again.  (*It is with time and great maturity that I am able to appreciate this act of my father.  At the time I was just really, really embarrassed.) 

He was also prone to sending notes to school with us.  Like when he found something incorrect in a textbook.  "Dear Mrs. Soandso, Do you realize the graph on page 77 detailing oil and gas trends in the US across the last 5 years is inaccurate?  I'll assume this is not the sort of misinformation we want in our textbooks and ask that you please advise when we can expect a correction."

I am not kidding.

One time he stopped the school principal at open house to tell her the mascot paw was wrong.  THE PRINCIPAL.  He even brought a book with him to reference the correct anatomy.  To his credit, this is a bear paw print....




And this was the paw print of the mighty Fiest Elementary Bears....



I mean, really.  How could he not have said something?

I like to tease him that when our car pulled up in the parking lot the administration had to prepare themselves.  Especially if we had a note with us.  They could see him coming from a mile away.  He made no mystery of what he was about and still doesn't. 

And I love it.

"For I am not ashamed of the Good News about Jesus Christ.  It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes."  Romans 1:16

Do they see you coming?  Do they know what you're about?  Is your love of mercy, of grace, of justice and peace so apparent that they know your Lord before you even open your mouth? 

Do you live your life unashamed of the truth in Jesus Christ?

Heavenly Father, there are so many things I can be today, so many places I can rest my identity.  Am I a mother?  A wife?  A neighbor?  When I approach others what do they see first?  Is my faith a mystery to others?  Is it ever a question what I stand for?  Please help me not to make it so.  Fill me with your spirit in such a way that today and everyday, Lord, they see You first.  Always You.  Amen.

XOXO....Kelly





 

No comments:

Post a Comment