Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz....

I was a drama kid in high school....in a good way.  I mean, I acted, performed in plays.  I had the time of my life doing it, taking on new roles, new costumes, new sets.  I remember the bond formed with fellow cast members, the kind that can only be formed after weeks and weeks together going over the same five scenes, missing lines and trying not to laugh.  So it was fun to see a few friends' children perform in CAPA's (Cypress Academy of Performing Arts) Wizard of Oz this month.  The kiddos were PRECIOUS and I imagine them getting to have some of the same fun I did back in high school. 

My own children have not spent a lot of time in the theater and they loved it.  Blake declared that it was just like regular movies "but with real people", and he was thrilled that candy and popcorn was available during "halftime".  If you've not seen a show recently find one.  There's something about live theater that you just can't get anywhere else.  I felt like I got a piece of my youth back just watching.

All that aside, the Wizard is an idiot.  You probably knew that, though.  He hides behind a curtain, has no real power, etc., etc., etc.  But it was his final words to the Tin Man that made me want to run up on stage and hug him and ask him what misguided person had given him such advice in his lifetime.  Bless his heart.

The line I'm referring to is, "A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others." 

Oh, sweet, stupid Wizard.  No it's not.

"You have heard that is was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you:  Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.  He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."  Matthew 5:43-48

Not everyone worth loving is going to love you back.  But we do our hearts and Christ's church a huge disservice when we choose to draw the line there.  It's true, the feeling of being liked and loved is a good one, a great one even.  I remember when Facebook first became popular.  Several of the kids in my youth group had a race to see who could get to 1000 friends first. 

But if you're waiting on popularity to make you complete you'll be waiting for a long time.

Perfect love is not easy love.  It means opening yourself up to someone who might not like you back.  Love is an action word, though, and love is as love does.  May our hearts follow suit.

XOXO....Kelly


  




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment