Wednesday, January 28, 2015

New vans and old bladders....

We got a new(er) van just before Christmas.  For those of you that know of our old van, you know it was dearly loved, but pretty much just what you would expect for a family riding around with four little boys.  Rough.  We resolved to give up on prideful vehicles a long time ago, but when the door locks stopped working Kevin put his foot down.  So we upgraded and our new(er) van has all sorts of fancy bells and whistles.....a DVD player, heated seats, a heated steering wheel, automatic doors and door locks that work.  As I often like to say, there is sooooo much on this van for us to break.  It's going to be great.

Earlier this week, Parker and I headed out of Jazzercise for a quick trip to Target.  I should have used the restroom before we left Jazzercise, but I still like to believe I have the bladder of a 20-year old.  Everything else is aging, so I try to cling on to what I can.  It, of course, is nowhere near the bladder of a 20-year old and so I was in a pretty desperate condition by the time I got to Target.

Parker has just recently learned to use the automatic door lock buttons and insists on opening and closing the door by himself every time we go somewhere.  While he understands the basic principle behind the button, the particulars trip him up sometimes.  Like, don't hit it more than once or don't hit the button when someone is standing in front of the door.  And so there I stood, in the Target parking lot, trying to get my 2 1/2 year old out of the van--who is managing to pin my arm in the car door because he won't stop hitting the automatic door button--and all the while ready to pee everywhere.

When I finally freed us, I noticed a young 20-something young man staring as he passed by.  Wonder what he was thinking.  After all, there's not much more attractive than a 35-year old mother of four wetting her Jazzercise pants in the Target parking lot while shouting at her son to quit slamming the door shut on her arm. 

Fortunately I made it into the store before any real damage was done and managed to get the few groceries I came for as well.  We'll call that one a success.  Next time, who knows.

Some days the sun shines, the sky is blue and Target has everything you need in stock.  Other days you pee all over yourself in the parking lot before you even get inside.  Can there be peace on such as day as this?  You betcha.

"We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed....Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."  2 Cor 4:8,9,16

God's work in you continues, my friend, every day--rain or shine, good or bad--no matter what.  His peace renews us, providing light where darkness threatens to take over.  Father, help me to rely on that.  When my patience is tested and my circumstances seem desperate, let your peace take over.  When my body fails and technology backfires, it is the only way.  Amen.

XOXO......Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment