Tuesday, February 10, 2015

IKEA People

I made my semi-annual trek to IKEA last week.  It's about 30 minutes from our house, so I don't go often.  But I see something online or get their catalogue in the mail and I eventually convince myself to go check out whatever it is I saw. 

I took Parker and Zachary with me.  I learned really quick that you can't take 4 boys with you to IKEA because even though they have a "family plan" or whatever that is, by family they mean leave your kids in the play area because we don't want them to touch our stuff.  We wound our way through the maze of couches and dressers and kitchen stuff, etc.  If you've never been in an IKEA, you have to follow these blue arrows through almost the entire store until you can get out.  They have these little short-cuts every now and then, but they're a little hard to get to and, again, you have to risk touching the merchandise to get there.  Best to just stick to the path.

We probably made it about 20 minutes this trip before someone ticked me off (that's actually pretty good), so, as per usual, I found myself sitting in the café halfway through the store glaring at everyone around me.

IKEA people. 

IKEA people, despite the fact that they're looking at very inexpensive furniture, are a little snooty.  It's like you have to check your southern hospitality at the door when you go in there.  And they're always dressed a little nicer than I am and know how to use things like Instagram and Twitter and they don't eat gluten or sugar.  IKEA people.  Sitting there all smug with their bergdorfs and ilkentops, trying to decide where to put their shurgenburgens at home after they've plugged their electric cars in. 

And then it occurs to me.

I'm in IKEA. 

I'm enjoying lunch and a beverage in the café.  I'm carrying around a carefully designed Swedish product with instructions that I'll never be able to understand.  Am I an IKEA person, too??!!!

And there it is.  The great human equalizer.  The realization that you are no better and no worse than the people around you (despite my inability to use Instagram or Twitter and being totally accepting of both sugar and gluten).  Did I not just drive myself 30 minutes to get here?  Our van may not be electric, but I use the eco-boost for fuel efficiency!  I kind of don't even mind that they don't give you a plastic bag to carry your stuff home in.  Sweet mother of Lionel Richie....I have become an IKEA person.

So my message for today....cut the world some slack.  We all need forgiveness and we all get grace.  No matter how far up or down your nose you're looking at someone....you aren't really all the different from them in the end. 

God loves us each the same.  REALLY.  He does.  No exceptions.  Even the IKEA people.

Especially the IKEA people.

 

XOXO....Kelly      

No comments:

Post a Comment