Monday, November 30, 2015

Steps

Kevin and I got Fitbits a few weeks ago.  (In case you haven't heard of them, they're all the rage in the health and fitness world.)  We've been carefully watching our steps, trying each day to reach our personal goals.  The day after Thanksgiving we went on a long family walk (no pun intended) together.  About 20 minutes into the walk I noticed that Kevin had twice the steps I did.  This made no sense!  We'd walked the same distance together.  It should have been more equal.  Kevin asked if I'd been swinging my arms at all, that sometimes it doesn't read a step without your arm movement.  Well, no, I had not been swinging my arms....I was pushing the stroller!  You mean to tell me that all of the times I'm pushing a stroller or carrying something my steps don't get counted because my arms aren't swinging??!!  Do you know how many times I'm pushing a stroller or carrying something?  Good Lord!!!

As you can imagine, I was pretty frustrated.  All that walking for nothing!  How many other steps have I taken that haven't been recorded?  Why even walk?!  What's the point if it isn't going to show up on your fancy little wristband doohickie?

Well, of course I know there's a point.  All that walking is just as good whether it shows up on my Fitbit or not.  It's just nice to have a little feedback, a little affirmation that you're doing the right thing.  (Feel free to fill in the blank with your own personal struggle here...raising children, changing jobs, buying a house, helping a friend, etc., etc., etc.)

And yet, sometimes the feedback we crave most dearly is the very thing we've got to let go of.  Those challenges met in God's name are also going to succeed in God's time, which we all know is not our own.  Sometimes we get to see the fruits of our labor.  Sometimes we don't.  But each step is just as important, whether the world counts it or not.

"....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6 

Hang in there all you exercisers, parents, teachers, friends, spouses and the like.  Your steps count. 

XOXO....Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment