Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I am the Lorax

Last weekend we watched the new Lorax movie with the kiddos.  It was delightful, I must say.  Such a good message and a welcome change from all the Star Wars, TMNT and GI Joe we usually watch around here.  Oh, and football.  When is that over?  Anyhoo...I love the song at the end where the people of Thneedville are all singing and decide to let the little truffula seed grow.  "Let it grow! Let it grow! You can't reap what you don't sow!"  That line has been stuck in my head since we watched the movie and it occurs to me it may apply to more than just tree planting.  I know in my own life I am often very impatient for rewards I haven't necessarily worked for.  I want to know more, but don't study.  Be healthier, but don't exercise.  Have more money, but don't save.  Enjoy a better community, but don't get involved.  Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few" (Matthew 9:37).  He wasn't talking about truffula trees either.  There's so much good to be gotten when we put forth the effort!  Even if it's just smiling at the noticeably bored person behind the cash register at McDonald's...before AND after they get your order wrong.  What we sow with the power and love of Christ behind us we will reap in harvest greater than we could ever need.  This is God's promise to us.  Oh, Mr. Lorax, you marvelous and mystical defender of the forest, your message rings loud and clear.  Help me, God, to put aside my excuses, my misgivings and my pride and simply let it grow.  XOXO...Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment