Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Like a turtle on a fencepost...

So there's this picture of a turtle on the top of a fence post (you may already be familiar with it).  The story goes that it hung in Alex Haley's office and whenever anyone would ask about it, Haley would say the turtle sure didn't get up there by itself.  He kept it up in his office as a reminder that Haley didn't get to where he was by himself either.  I don't know a ton about preachers, but I know enough to know that this story is a treasure trove for sermon topic!  I've probably heard it from at least two ministers myself.  But I must confess, each time I hear it I can't help but get a little distracted with the turtle.  I mean, who would put a turtle on a fence post?  How in the world is he supposed to get down?  So if the message is that we need to remember that we don't get up on our own, then the other half of the story is that we don't get down on our own either.  We can work and work to undo the messes we make for ourselves in life, but I haven't yet come across a solution so effective as surrendering to God.  And I don't mean bringing Him in as a consultant and decide later if you like His advice.  I mean wholly, completely and totally surrendering to His will.  Admitting your way is not the best way and letting Him take control.  A fencepost is a stupid place for a turtle.  Likewise, despair is not where God wants you to be either.  As slow or frustrating or HUMBLING as God's path may be sometimes, it is the only way off the fencepost that will give you any sort of peace down the road.  (That's a good thing!!)  Rest today in the assurance that God loves you, that He wants to be a part of your life--the good and the bad.  We praise you, Lord, for the success you lead us to in spite of ourselves and for the deliverance you afford us in spite of ourselves as well.  XOXO...Kelly    

No comments:

Post a Comment