Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Nerf bullets and the Kingdom of God

Since the weather made a turn for the better we have been spending a lot of time outside, especially after school.  Our yard has been full of kids all the way from little Parker up to a few high school and junior high school students playing basketball.  I would be lying if I said I didn't love it.  It's nice for the boys to have company and for me to know where they are and it's awesome to know your neighbors.  It has me thinking a lot about what we've been talking about in church lately....taking the church beyond the building and growing the kingdom of God.

"You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."  Matthew 5:14-16

St. Francis of Assisi said to preach the gospel at all times and, if necessary, use words.  I believe in God's worth, the Truth of Jesus, but if I speak with the tongues of angels but have not love I am nothing!!  Building God's kingdom is about the community we build in our own homes, not just with what happens behind the stained glass on Sunday morning. 

So if you're in the neighborhood and you'd like to stop by, please be clear about what to expect at my home. 

You will probably be hit with a Nerf bullet, football, basketball and/or pinecone.

If you say you're hungry you'll probably be given fruit snacks and/or Girl Scout cookies. 

Parker doesn't share well, but we're working on it.  In the meantime he screams a lot. 

If you get something out you'll have to pick it up.  No, not your mom who feels guilty for leaving me with a mess.  YOU.  You made the mess.

There will be no profanity and no disrespect.  Not for me, any other adult or any other child here.

Don't fuss at your mom in front of me.  I'll make you apologize.   
 
There will be no inappropriate television, movies or video games. 

Also, I hate sidewalk chalk. 

There will be grace, given as freely as we can manage it.

Mercy.

Love.

Christ's light shines around here.  We do not apologize for it.

As for me and my house, we serve the Lord.  And you are always welcome here.

XOXO....Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment